As per Gartner, Inc. A strategic technology trend is the one which has the potential of significant impact on the organization in the coming three years. The factors which can be considered for the significant impact include high potential for disruption to the business, end users or IT, the need for a major investment, or the risk of being very late to get used to. These new technologies are going to impact the organization's long term goals, programs and other initiatives. The top trends for 2015 cover themes like merging of the real and virtual worlds, the advent of intelligence everywhere and the technological impact of the digital business shifts. The following are the top 10 strategically trends that will be followed in 2015:
1. Computing everywhere: The Smartphone technologies are advancing day after day, smartphones are going to be used in new ways and environments. Smart phones will offer connected screens and wearable in public and workplaces.
2. The Internet of Things (IoT): The internet of things is very big and it will continue to expand along with other user-oriented computing. It will be the focus of digital business products and processes.
3. 3D Printing: Worldwide shipments of 3D printers are going to expand by 98%. It will reach tipping point over the next 2 years. The expansion will be huge.
4. Advanced, pervasive, invisible analytics: Analytics will continue to grow, creating large pool of data. All the apps are going to be analytical apps.
5. Context Rich Systems: Because of embedded intelligence and analytics, most of the systems will become responsive to their environments.
6. Smart machines: The analytics and contexts will pave way for the smart machines that can learn from their own selves and act accordingly. There is going to be a huge evolution in these machine helpers.
7. Cloud/Client Architecture: Mobile computing is meeting cloud computing. Applications which are centrally coordinated which can be delivered to any devices will continue to grow. Apps will be able to store at very low cost.
8. Software defined infrastructure and applications: Software defined networking, storage and data centers are growing well. Computing will move away from static models to deal with changing demands of digital business.
9. Web scale IT: Maximum of the companies will think like amazon, Flipkart, Facebook and Google. Cloud optimized and software defined methods are increasing we will see a shift towards web scale IT
10. Risk based security and self protection: Security will change, it will move from perimeter defense to multi faceted approaches. This will lead to new models of building security directly into applications. Firewalls are no longer enough all the apps will have to protect themselves now